SPC’s Colin Berenhaut director of sports science for Cricket Canada blogs from Sri Lanka…

Colin Berenhaut is the Director of Sports Science for Cricket Canada and the senior team’s strength and conditioning coach.  He is responsible for the implementation of physical preparation procedures and providing Sport Science support to both the athletes and coaching staff. Colin is a former Canadian National Soccer Team member and Partner/Director of Strength and Conditioning at SPC Sports Performance Centres Ltd.

Colin blogs from the senior team’s training and qualifier preparation camp as Island Slang returns to the tropical Island of Sri Lanka.

Day 1- January 10, 2010

The Cricket Canada team finally arrives in Colombo, Sri Lanka after a long 24hr journey from Toronto to Colombo via Dubai.

As anticipated the service and flight on Emirates Airlines was as impressive as all the stories we had heard. With over 500 channels at our leisure, extra spacious seating, and delicious food the long trip was very comfortable and enjoyable.

Upon arriving at the airport in Colombo our baggage was waiting for us as we approached the baggage claim, something very unusual to Canadians who travel through Pearson Airport.

The heat of Sri Lanka hit me like a freight train, if the Toronto weather was at one end of the climate spectrum the Colombo heat was on the other, but I will take it, after shovelling myself out of the drive way a week before I was more than ready for some tropical weather.

As we approached the hotel/palace/paradise we will call home for the next 26 days, I was more than pleasantly surprised. The grounds are impeccable, inclusive of a lagoon that is home to thousands of huge gold fish, pools that would make any resort goer jealous, and a gym/spa that makes this Conditioning Coach VERY happy.

Upon arrival, business began. After a short but intense fitness session the men of Cricket Canada were ready for a night of recovery from jet lag and time to get focused on the task at hand….becoming champions of the 2010 WT20Q.  

Day 2- January 11, 2010

The schedule begins before the sun comes up at 600am. It?s too bad my good friend and team Doctor, Gio or as the boys refer to him, ?Tony? ? due to his Italian heritage – woke me up at 440am because he changed his watch to the wrong time, it’s a good thing he has a better grasp of medicine then he has on technology.

Since I was up anyhow, we headed down for a quick breakfast at the incredible spread we will be privy to for the duration of the stay.

The guys met us at the gym for daily morning weigh ins, blood pressure, and heart rate monitoring that they will get used to performing every day.

Gio and I are taking every precaution and measure to assist the guys in recovery and in order to do so we will be monitoring these variables to check for overtraining and de-hydration.

In the afternoon, the tempo for the remainder of the tour was set during the 5 hour team meeting. The players listened to several great motivational presentations including ones from Coach Pubudu and team Analyst Rathan.

The Sports Science team of Gio and myself, used this opportunity to teach the athletes about proper Nutrition, Hydration, Training, and Injury prevention in order to help them with recovery during the intense camp that was in store.

The meeting session was of great motivation and one thing was understood. This trip was business with the goal and the expectation being success. Anything less was unacceptable.

Day 3- January 12, 2010

Damn its HOT!!!!! The Sri Lanka heat combined with humidity took a toll on the boys in their first session or at least it took a toll on me. Come ten in the evening after 2 sessions I was bagged, I can only imagine how they felt.

In the morning the team took to the nets at Moors Cricket Club, with some damp conditions from the rain the night before- it was said that the conditions were not optimal. The guys battled through it and worked really well getting used to the conditions including for some working on grass fields for the first time since last summer, enduring the extreme heat, and the intense training session prior to technical session.

The afternoon session had the boys working on fielding. Starting off a bit rusty generally because of the long layoff over the Canadian winter they worked hard through it and finished the session off with some great exchanges.

A night of rest was well deserved and needed by all… including the coaching staff.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: